Agas Services Ltd

Gas appliances that are left unchecked could be dangerous and leaking carbon monoxide

All of your gas appliances, including your gas boiler, gas cooker and gas fire should be safety checked once a year and serviced regularly according to manufacturer’s instructions.

What is a service?

Whilst a gas safety check assesses the basic safety of a gas appliance, a service will consist of a full check of a gas appliance. We are likely to take the appliance apart to inspect it. We can then assess the physical condition of the appliance, installation pipework, air vents and any flues for deterioration. This will enable us to carry out performance tests and take any necessary remedial action. Servicing your appliances  will make sure they are safe to use. and will also ensure that the efficiency and performance is maintained.

Don't delay book in a service today.    

 What is a gas safety check?

A gas safety check will enable us to assess and check that your gas appliances are working and up to standard. It will ensure that they are safe to use and working correctly inspecting your gas appliances.The four important points of area to check are:

  • Gas appliances are on the right setting and burning correctly with the correct operating pressure
  • Harmful gases are being removed from the appliance safely to the air outside
  • That any ventilation routes are clear and working properly
  • All the safety devices are working

Badly fitted and poorly serviced appliances can cause gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbonmonoxide is a highly poisonous gas.

You can’t see it, taste it or smell it, but it can kill quickly with no warning. Protect yourself from the dangers by following these simple steps:

  • Only use a Gas Safe registered engineer to fit, fix or service your appliance
  • Get your appliances regularly serviced and safety checked every year
  • Fit an audible carbon monoxide alarm
  • Check for signs such as lazy yellow flames or black marks or stains around appliances.
  •  Know the six main signs and symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning - headaches, dizziness, nausea, breathlessness, collapse and loss of consciousness.    

Beware  a  yellow lazy flame is a sign of incomplete combustion. Staining and black soot or marks around your gas appliances can be dangerous. Check your gas boilers,gas cookers,gas fires. For the signs listed. As shown with the flame on the right.

The flame on the left is a good clean safe flame but all gas appliances should still be safety checked once a year and serviced regularly according to manufacturer's instuctions.

Carbon monoxide poisoning deaths treble in a year

 Deaths from carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning have trebled in the last year, according to a report published today.

In the 12-month period to June 30, there were 50 recorded incidents involving CO poisoning in the UK, the Gas Safety Trust said.

Of the 105 people involved, there were 25 fatalities and 80 injuries without fatal consequences - more than three times as many as the seven deaths reported in 2010, the Trust said.

The Carbon Monoxide Hotspot Report 2011, which contains figures of incidents gained from media reports, says the high number of fatalities can be explained by the occurrence of several serious incidents in the past 12 months.
Northern Ireland suffered particularly badly, with two incidents in Co Londonderry and Co Fermanagh claiming two and three lives respectively.

The number of people involved in incidents fell from 145 the previous year.

The top hotspot for CO related incidents, when population is taken into account, was Devon, followed by Somerset, Staffordshire, Northern Ireland, Cheshire and Essex.
As is usually the case, the highest numbers of incidents were experienced between November and February (58% of total incidents). However, there were also cases in the summer when camping equipment and fires are used more.
The Trust warned that the real figures could actually be much higher.
Nigel Dumbrell, head of charitable operations, said: "While deaths and serious injuries from CO exposure are relatively straightforward to record, the data does not reveal the extent of what might be termed 'near misses'.

"The records do not capture information about the number of people who are unwittingly exposed to low levels of CO poisoning; levels that may cause long-term ill health but go undetected."

The Trust said further awareness activity was needed to increase the proportion of households with a CO alarm, given their role in saving people from serious injury and death.

Of all the CO incidents recorded, none involving an alarm resulted in a fatality or serious injury.

For all your gas appliance repairs and servicing on all leading manufacturer’s. Boilers,Fires, Cookers contact us via telephone or email.  

Service Request

 I can highly recommend Ray of Agasservices,he's been to see my gas fire twice and I have found him a professional who really knows and understands his work but he's also friendly too.I would with out a doubt use him again,in fact I have recommended him to other people already. M.Young

 We have used Ray of Agas Services for an unbelievable 15 years for plumbing and heating work.He has repaired replaced and serviced  boilers, central heating systems and gas fires for us over the years. Ray is extremely professional, very knowledgeable and reliable.  We have recommended him on many occasions to our friends for both heating and plumbing work and would have no hesitation doing so again."

 
J and T
Edgbaston